Our Corporate Giving Focus
Where We Give
Geographically, we give priority to needs of nonprofit organizations that serve residents of Hampton Roads, Virginia (i.e., the cities of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, and Suffolk) and the immediate communities surrounding our regional Distribution Center facilities.
What We Prioritize
When we review requests for contributions, we consider organizations that are tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and whose programs specifically benefit the geographic areas outlined above and follow our C.A.R.E.S. priorities of organizations that focus on Children, Arts, Region, Environment and Socio-economic issues.
Children | Improve children’s readiness to learn and ability to succeed in school by supporting education initiatives.
Arts | Promote broad-based participation in the arts and cultural activities.
Region | Preserve and increase access to the region’s unique assets.
Environment | Support environmental efforts within the region.
Socio-Economic | Improve the quality of life for socio-economically disadvantaged families.
Our Corporate Giving Exclusions
- Donations of merchandise, gift certificates, or discounts; donations of returned, damaged or excess merchandise
- Organizations not tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Door prizes, gift certificates, or other giveaways
- Sponsorship or fundraising for special events such as auctions, raffles, luncheons and dinners, carnivals, and sporting events
- Individual K-12 schools or school events such as proms, graduations, PTO/PTA groups, etc.
- Individuals, including student exchange/travel programs, family reunions, memorials, benefits
- Conferences and seminars
- Capital campaigns; construction and renovation projects
- Membership, religious, political, labor, or fraternal organizations
- International projects or organizations
- Film and video projects; research projects